Saturday, February 09, 2008

I wrote this motivational sermon in my head this morning as I was getting ready for work. I'm hoping you're familiar with the hymn "Soon and Very Soon (We Are Going to See the King)."

Anyhow, imagine this spoken by MLK or Jesse Jackson or, just for joke, Marlee Matlin.

I have seen it in the faces of strangers passing on the street.
I can hear it in the voices of my friends and loved ones.
Despite the muck and the slush,
The snow and the cold,
A corner is being turned,
Change is in the wings.
Soon and very soon,
We are going to see the Spring!
(Choir kicks in)

It could easily be modified for an MLB spot. Something like:

From Grapefruit to Cactus or The fields are being readied
Pitchers are reporting

Probably something about fields works better with the whole slave hymn angle. Eh. I'll think about it. Hey, Bud Selig, just give me a jingle if you want to use in this in your pre-season ads.

No comments: